Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Its 11 in the night, as i did not have any other work to do, i was buried deep inside the process of thinking. Eyes opened, looking at the ceiling in the dark, my thoughts were roaming around the kind of relaxation my mind requires. I was thinking of learning to play a music instrument since music if one of my passion. All of a sudden a streak of thought came to me..which then lead to a series of thinking and formed a thread....when i was too young @ 8 yrs...we were staying in a very old (very very old indeed) house. on those years we were paying Rs. 90 as rent. our portion in the house had a veranda, a room and a kitchen. The room had a small window through which one can see the street. the room was packed with materials, stacked on the floor as the house did not have much shelves. one has to do a bit of struggle to peep through the window. We had a "thinnai" outside the house on both the sides of the entrance path. The right hand side being longer and had few wooden pillars. Me and my sister used to play around the pillars. On those days i used to be too mischievous. I still remember one day while jumping from one side to the other side, i fel down and hit the stone on my eyebrows. stitching was done and i still have a glimpse of the scar....we had a big open space on the back side of the house, where there was a well. The open space was filled with bushes and these served us a place to hide while we play "police & thief" game....when it rained , the house used to leak in such a way that we were not able to sleep inside..hence we used stay in the houses of our neighbours...i wonder huv i was not able to recollect these earlier.....Btw.....jaya maami....she was the owner of the house...she was in her fifties...unmarried...the only relation she had (as far as I know) was her brother who used to visit her once in few months and stayed there for few days....she had a violin whcih she plays everyday in the evening....she sat in the veranda and i could see no audiences for her show...she used to play it for more than half-an-hour...for her the violin was so precious...we kids used to hide it on some days & she becomes very arrogant on those days...she never shouted at us in front, but used to grumble...somedays she used to play it on odd hours...the sound just filled the whole house...i remember getting annoyed during that time...to interrupt her, we used to make noises...but she never stopped playing..we used to make fun of her...all we got was a angry look and nothing else...........I was with my parents and surrounded by my sisters. the circle was complete for me on those days. when iam alone now, i could really figure out the reason behind her emotional attachment towards the instrument,,,it was her family...when she was happy she had no one except the violin...when she cried, she had no shoulder to lean except the violin...i could remember my mom telling me one day that, many a times she had seen tears on the eyes of maami while she was playing the instrument......the touch the music gave her....after movig out of the house, i heard that her relatives have cheated her and sold the house for a fortune (the house was the only bread winner for her)....her brother was no more after that...she moved to a very small house in the nearby street...was able to fetch food from the perumal temple......i do not know if she is still alive....but my heart goes for her...i am thinking that i should go and meet....should request her to forgive me for all the mischievous things i did....try to make arrangements for her food...if she is interested, would like to learn playing the instrument.....when i have the wound on my skin, I get to understand the pain of others......

No comments: